Health Topics beginning with "L"
- Labyrinthitis - inflammation of the semicircular canals in the inner ear.
- Laryngitis - a minor inflammation of the larynx (voice box) and surrounding tissues, causing temporary hoarseness.
- Legionnaire's disease - a form of lung infection (bronchopneumonia) named after an epidemic that affected 182 people attending an American Legion convention in 1976.
- Leukemia - is a cancerous growth of white blood cells.
- Lupus Erythematosus, Systemic - An inflammatory disease of connective tissue.
- Lyme Disease - an inflammatory disorder characterized by a skin rash, followed in weeks to months by symptoms in the central nervous system, cardiovascular system and joints.
- Lymphoma - is cancer of the lymphatic system.
- Lactose intolerance - is more commonly referred to as "Milk Intolerance" in the medical community. Intolerance to dairy products caused by a lack of the lactase enzyme, needed to digest lactose.
- Lead poisoning - Ingestion of lead into the body that can cause serious problems in children, including mental retardation, liver or kidney damage and developmental delays.
- Leukoplakia - A white or gray discoloration in the mouth that is not linked to another condition and most frequently appears on the tongue. It can also appear on the insides of the cheeks, roof of the mouth or gums and rarely progresses to oral cancer.
- Lice - Tiny parasitic insects known as Pediculus humanus corporis that spread through close contact with other people.
- Lichen planus - A skin disease that appears as shiny, reddish-purplish, flat-topped bumps with an angular shape. It appears on the inside of the wrists and ankles, the lower legs, the back and the neck. Episodes may last months to years.
- Lipomas - Benign tumor composed of fat.
- Liver cancer - Cancer of the liver, an organ in the abdomen that aids in digestion and regulates levels of vital substances in blood. While the most common cancer to occur worldwide, it is relatively uncommon in the U.S. It may result from hepatitis C infection.
- Lung cancers are the leading cause of cancer deaths in the United States.
- Lupus erythematosus - A chronic autoimmune disease that can cause inflammation of joints (arthritis), blood vessels (vasculitis), the lining of organs such as the heart (pericarditis) or lungs (pleuritis) and other problems.
- Lymphogranuloma venereum - A sexually transmitted disease or infection involving the lymph glands in the genital area. It is caused by a specific strain of chlamydia.
Drugs starting with L
- Levofloxacin - used for the treatment of pneumonia, acute sinusitis, chronic bronchitis, infections of the urinary tract, and skin and soft tissue infections.
- Levothyroxine - is used to treat hypothyroidism (low thyroid function).
© Medtips.org All rights reserved. Registration is not required to view the information on the site.